Vietnam visa requiements for Phu Quoc island
Vietnam visa is a must if you are not in the list of Visa exemption. But if you plan to travel to only Phu Quoc island for your vacation, you can benefit 30 days free visa stay in the island.
In order to be eligible for the 30-day visa exemption to Phu Quoc Island, you must meet the following visa requirements:
- You must hold an ordinary foreign passport, not a travel document, and the passport must be valid for at least 6 month since your first entry date to Vietnam. This is also required by all airlines. If you do not meet this criterion, your airline reserves all right to decline your boarding. Make sure that your passport does not expire within that 6 month or else you should renew your passport before taking the trip to Phu Quoc Island.
- You must have a round trip air ticket to and from Phu Quoc. The onward destination after Phu Quoc can be any other destination except Vietnam. Flights can be either direct to Phu Quoc or transiting through one Vietnam’s other international airports with the final destination being Phu Quoc. (1)
- Your duration of stay in Phu Quoc must not longer than 30 days
In case you plan to visit other parts of Vietnam after Phu Quoc, you will require a Vietnam visa. And in this case, you may:
- Obtain a Vietnam visa for your whole trip in Vietnam, you can get a Vietnam visa for 1 to 3 month stay, single or multiple entry; OR
- Travel to Phu Quoc island with Vietnam visa exemption and then contact the Vietnam Immigration Officers there to obtain Vietnam visa.
In case the first option is selected, you can apply visa on arrival Vietnam if you travel to Vietnam by air via international airports including Noi Bai of Hanoi, Tan Son Nhat of Ho Chi Minh city, Danang of Danang city, Cam Ranh of Nha Trang city and Phu Quoc of Phu Quoc island. Please also note that getting Vietnam visa when you are in Phu Quoc is much higher than getting visa on arrival.
(1) We strongly recommend you to get a Vietnam visa if you travel by air to other international airport in Vietnam before Phu Quoc island even you do not exit transit lounge as according to Vietnam immigration law, foreign traveler must doing immigration clearance before the other domestic flight then it may cause some confusions if you do not have Vietnam visa then take other flight to Phu Quoc.